Recently the North Providence Police Department was notified of an incident in which individuals posed as impostors from a utility company. The impostors knocked on the door and stated that they were there to perform repairs.
The homeowner allowed the impostors into the home. The impostors checked the residence, asked a few questions and left the residence.
The suspects are described as two Hispanic males who arrived in a white pickup truck that was not marked with the utility company’s name or official markings.
This is a common tactic of thieves who want to gain access to a residence. Once in the residence one of the impostors will distract the homeowner while the other suspect takes valuables from the home. In this instance it does not appear that anything of value was taken.
The North Providence Police Department wants to warn our residents that this type of activity is occurring in the community.
Please take the following precautions if you are approached by persons posing as utility workers:
- If you did not call the utility company call them to verify they have authorized workers in the area
- Ask the worker for official identification, when calling the utility company provide the worker’s name and employee number to confirm he/she is one of their employees
- Ensure the vehicle the worker arrived in is marked with the utility company’s name
- If you did not make an appointment with the utility company do not allow the individual into your home under any circumstances
- Please contact your local police department and the utility company to report the incident
- Attempt to obtain as much information on the description of the individuals as well as the vehicle that they are driving