- Complaints filed with the police department will be for PROSECUTION and NOT FOR COLLECTION. If you desire collection or restitution, refer to your attorney or a collection agency.
- Checks received in another city or town, post-dated checks, and second party checks will NOT be accepted.
- The person cashing the check should produce proper identification such as a valid operator’s license. The endorsement should have name, address, date of birth, and telephone number.
- The person receiving the check should require proper IDENTIFICATION, such as a VALID OPERATOR’S LICENSE and should initial and date the check.
- On insufficient funds checks, it is required that prior to filing a complaint, the check passer be notified and be given (15) working days to make restitution. This notification is the responsibility of the complainant, not the police. There will be no follow-up until this notification is made. Send a letter to the check maker and indicate the above. It is suggested that a copy be sent by regular mail and the party be contacted by telephone. After a period of fifteen (15) working days has elapsed, send a certified letter giving the check maker two (2) working days to
make restitution. If no response, a report will be taken.
- In the event that the defendant wants a trial, the person receiving the check must be willing to testify in court. If the person receiving a check fails to appear in court after being notified, the case will be dismissed and the check will be returned to the complainant.
- If a check is returned “stolen”, “forged”, “account closed”, etc., a complaint may be filed immediately.
- Businesses who have the policy of cashing checks should supply necessary forms for their personnel requiring the following data:
a. Suspect (person) passing check
b. Address and phone number
c. Date of birth
d. License number
e. Date passed
f. Place of employment, address and phone number
g. Description of person, height, weight, complexion, hair, race and sex
- All complaints will be filed IN PERSON at the North Providence Police Headquarters.
- ALL COMPLAINTS, IN THEIR ENTIRETY, MUST BE FILED WITHIN FORTY-FIVE (45) DAYS OF THE OFFENSE. It is important that once a check is returned from the bank for stated reasons, the above steps be taken immediately.